Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1
Fire Rescue Police Model Discussion / The last of the V8's in 1:43 scale
« Last post by RichK on January 18, 2018, 08:17:52 AM »
Greenlight has announced Max's V8 Interceptor in 1:43 scale. Hopefully it does well enough that we see the yellow interceptor's and pursuit cars in the future.
2
Fire And Rescue Models In Progress / Re: 1/64 Columbus E2 Spartan/Ferrara Build Along
« Last post by JoeO on January 15, 2018, 05:30:39 PM »
I believe it has been recently replaced by a new Sutphen.


When they took Engine 2 OOS to create Ladder 5 and build the new Station 2 the original Spartan/Ferrara went into reserve status. Since the station reopened they are running a 2007 Sutphen, the 2018 is being built and it will look like all the one FR produced. Either way I can't wait to see it done.

Joe
3
Fire And Rescue Models In Progress / Re: 1/64 Columbus E2 Spartan/Ferrara Build Along
« Last post by M1968Q on January 15, 2018, 04:32:58 PM »
As you will see from these photos, the 3D Spartan cab, like the real apparatus, is longer than the stock C3 Ferrara cab, so I will be stretching the C3 frame to accommodate the 3D cab. I am opting to use the C3 chassis instead of the 3D chassis and I'll explain the frame stretching process that will be necessary to make this work when I get to that step.
4
Fire And Rescue Models In Progress / 1/64 Columbus E2 Spartan/Ferrara Build Along
« Last post by M1968Q on January 15, 2018, 04:26:27 PM »
Also wending its way down my work bench is a model of Columbus, OH Engine 2, a 2008 Spartan Gladiator/Ferrara pumper that I am building using a combination of a Mott's Models 3D printed cab and a Code 3 Consohocken Ferrara body. We photographed the real rig during the 2011 Capital City Fire Fest in Dublin, OH and I believe it has been recently replaced by a new Sutphen. This is the second 3Dcab that I have worked on and is cast in Frosted Ultra Detail. The cab is excellent and captures the real one perfectly. The pictures show what I am building, the Code 3 donor, and the 3D cab in various stages. The plus of using FUD is minimal sanding - the minus is that they are more expensive, but I think the detail and lack of necessary sanding makes it worth the cost.

I began by taking apart the Code 3 model, stripping the body of its paint, and then repainting it in a suitable shade of red. To prep the 3D cab, I followed Brian Mott's instructions and soaked it for a few hours in a solution of water and Dawn dish soap, and then let it dry overnight. After it was dry, I clear-coated the model to help smooth out any imperfections in the casting. After some very minimal sanding, I next primed it, which is where I am at the moment. I'll keep you posted as I move along. Feel free to ask any questions as I know 3D is still catching on in the 1/64 kitbash world.

I am using Rustoleum paints, a Code 3 donor model from Greg McGee, the 3D cab by Brian Mott, and InQuarters Columbus decals.

Photo 1 - real apparatus
Photo 2 - base C3 model
Photo 3 - raw cab
Photos 4 and 5 - primed cab
Photo 6 - status as of 1/15/18
5
Fire And Rescue Models In Progress / Re: Mother Jugs & Speed
« Last post by JoeO on January 15, 2018, 09:40:51 AM »
I'm pacing myself!!

Hey Troy retirement not birthday  :)
6
Fire And Rescue Models In Progress / Re: Mother Jugs & Speed
« Last post by RichK on January 15, 2018, 06:13:52 AM »
I'm pacing myself!!
7
Fire And Rescue Models In Progress / Re: Mother Jugs & Speed
« Last post by Troy on January 14, 2018, 08:33:09 PM »
I always wondered what happened to that project.  I thought it would be ready for my birthday in October 2015, then 2016, then 2017...2018? maybe, maybe not  ;D
8
Fire And Rescue Models In Progress / Re: Mother Jugs & Speed
« Last post by RichK on January 11, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »
The basic raised roof is now done. I have started to sand the bow in the top. That will take a day or so. The angles for the front and rear are close, and the entire assembly sits on the roof pretty well. It is my hopes that the welting will cover the seams, so I don't have to do any filling. At this point, I noticed that the rear roof of the diecast is misshaped. I suspect they ran the grinder too close to the body when cleaning it up. It will take a bit of work to fix it, its right in the right rear corner.
9
Fire And Rescue Models In Progress / Re: Mother Jugs & Speed
« Last post by RichK on January 10, 2018, 08:44:04 AM »
I have started back on this project, after considerable time away from it. I spent some time sanding the raised roof to the proper shape. Next up, tack the raised roof to the van's roof, and start shimming the rear to fill in any gaps. Once that is completed, then I will add some .20 to the top of the raised roof, and start sanding the slight curvature.
10
Thanks Jeff!  The only real problem with the DelPrados is that the scales are all over the place. :)  This particular one, like the Seagrave Anniversary pumper they did, is darn close to, if not exactly, 1/64.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10