Author Topic: Atlas Editions 59 Cadillac Superior ambulance  (Read 222 times)

RichK

• Administrator
Atlas Editions 59 Cadillac Superior ambulance
« on: October 01, 2017, 02:21:27 PM »
This is part of the Ambulances of the World, a parts work series from Atlas Editions. Not available in the US, I got a couple from an Ebay seller in France. They were right around $20 each. I wanted them for the parts, not for the collection. Neo did this last year, and it is quite outstanding. Some say the scale is off on the Neo, which means it was off on the Precision Miniature, and will be off on this one as well. Compared to the Hot Wheels Ecto, which is a 59 as well, the differences are not that much, so I guess scale is like beauty, its in the eyes of the beholder. The first thing to remember with the Atlas piece, it is not a highly sought after collectible. It is poorly done. The first photo shows you the lack of attention to detail, they call it a Miller Meteor. Which it clearly is not, it is a Superior. I had sent Atlas a note about this, but guess they know better.
 First up was to take it apart. It is held to the base with triangle shaped screw heads. The chassis was removed, and they also used the tri heads on those screw. The interior is a fair representation of a late 50's ambulance. Maybe not everything is in there, but it works for what it is. A nice cabinet and stretcher, and two tone red upholstery representation. The jump seats are correct and also a nice two tone. There is some detail in the front, with a two tone steering wheel and bit of dash detail. The white paint on the interior is poorly done, and looks more off white. There is minimal detail to the plastic one piece chassis. The tires are rubber, on some nice chrome hubcap/wheels with typical metal axles.
 Here is where it gets interesting. The entire roof/windows is a plastic sub assembly. It fits in to slots under the hood, and has two mushroom pins holding in down in the rear at the door. Cut away the mushroomed plastic, and the entire assembly lifts off. Then the roof, which is plastic, is mushroomed on to the window greenhouse. The interior of the greenhouse has what may be a representation of the headliner, but it would be a waste to paint it, you will never see it. After taking the roof off, I was able to get at the Superior bullet light pods, and siren. They too were mushroomed on to the roof. These are the parts I wanted. The roof white paint is horrible. It had runs and streaks and pits and scratches. It was just very poorly done. The roof is black under the white paint, and you could see where it had rubbed off on the sharp edges, probably from being handled during assembly. And finally, the windows/windshield. Although one piece, and actually done to our advantage, the clear is not really all the clear. It is cloudy and has a lot of imperfections. However, the way they did the assembly does allow for some easy kit bashing, by not having to remove all the separate windows and if you want a a matching or a two tone roof, its easy enough to paint.
 The siren and light pods are well done. I will use them on another project. In the final photos, you can see that I repainted the body already. I also filled in the holes in the roof where the lights and siren were, and repainted the roof using a much more brilliant base coat/clear coat white paint. I do like the separate wheel well trim, its easy to remove for painting. The bumpers have decent chrome, as do the mirrors and fender mounted broadcast antenna. If you have one of the Neo or Precision Miniatures/Greenlight versions, you will see right away, this is a carbon copy. All of the side/fender/hood trim is silver tampo. That will be a chore to replace, but not impossible. For the money, this is something pretty easy to work with.

RichK

• Administrator
Re: Atlas Editions 59 Cadillac Superior ambulance
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 02:23:00 PM »
Here are a few more photos, with the one I have already repainted.

JoeO

• Global Moderator
Re: Atlas Editions 59 Cadillac Superior ambulance
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 04:05:15 PM »
Thanks for the story, nice paint job as well.