Author Topic: Cars of the Arizona State Troopers  (Read 538 times)

RichK

• Administrator
Cars of the Arizona State Troopers
« on: April 01, 2018, 12:42:37 PM »
Two years ago, the Arizona Highway Patrol, or DPS (Department of Public Safety) instituted a new branding, including the name change to State Troopers. They had six Ford Utility vehicles done with special markings, and chose one for the new branding. Over the last two years, I made a few of the models, but never had all six at once. Here I present all six, with some variants of the new branded patrol units. Up first is the unit that was chosen. This is a standard FRR silver Ford, with the new markings. I detailed the push bumper, and added the take down lights under the lightbars on all of them. Arizona uses a multi band antenna. Some of the test units had them, most did not. All of the new patrol units have them, along with other antennas as needed. This one happens to have a LoJack set up. I have also included a silver Tahoe. I dont know as though the fleet has any of these older Tahoe's, but it is all we have to work with in 1:43 scale.

RichK

• Administrator
Re: Cars of the Arizona State Troopers
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 12:47:43 PM »
Up next are the white units. The first one, was just basically a DPS unit with State Trooper substituted for the Highway Patrol markings of the past. The State Trooper appeared on the front fender and rear hatch just as Highway Patrol did. The second white vehicle, is with a wide band of blue, and a more prominent "Courteous Vigilance" the state motto. It also featured a different font on the rear hatch for the State Trooper. And it was used as a DUI Enforcement vehicle. The third white unit, also had the wide band of color, but this time in copper. The "Courteous Vigilance" was on the front fender on this unit. The rear hatch also had a different font for the State Trooper. Originally, this unit did not have the multi band antenna.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 01:00:15 PM by RichK »

RichK

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 01:06:59 PM »
There was also a black, and a blue unit, both with the wide band but differing in the lettering and placement. Both were slick tops. The blue unit did not have a spotlight or push bumper. It has State Trooper on the front fender, and the "Courteous Vigilance" down low on the body. It had different antenna's and different LED lights on the hatch. The black unit, also a slick top, did have the spotlight and push bumper. It was the only one of the six to have the original DPS lettering on it. Previously, the "Courteous Vigilance" was not on vehicles.

RichK

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
The two vehicles here, are unique to the new branding. The white unit with the black markings, is the white with copper from above. The copper markings were removed, and replaced with the current black markings. I am told there is another one, that was repaired and had the black markings installed. The black unit, is one of the ghost units. There are several across the state that are black. This one is my neighbor's. The markings are the same as the silver patrol units, just in a dark gray color. There are also white units, with off white markings in use around the state. Most recently, the Arizona Troopers started using a black ghost Charger up in the metro Phoenix area.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »
Great fleet, love the black ghost unit.

JoeO

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 05:32:45 PM »
Awesome work Rich.

Sirentoys

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 05:34:10 PM »
Awesome set.  I love these kind of themes.  They would look good as a line up.

Thanks for sharing the history and details of each.

Jeff

Mesa0789

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 10:02:12 PM »
Awesome work... jealous for sure! Very cool to have seen these cars in person and then to have these cars come alive again in your replicas, since most of the prototypes aren't around any more.  Great work....!!!